FUN. Very important but often couples (& individuals) are so bogged down in work / chores / parenting that they stop having fun. So here are my top 5 tips for having fun over Christmas :
1. Decide that you WANT to have fun. Sounds obvious but you might need to be more intentional about having fun, especially if fun hasn’t been happening much lately.
2. Be absolutely bloody determined that you WILL have fun no matter what. This will have a huge impact, even if your partner is being grumpy. Decide that you won’t be drawn into serious or heavy conversations. And that you won’t allow yourself to be wound up or stressed by anyone. Just deciding this will help a lot. Also PLAN to have fun – put fun stuff in the diary, even if it’s just an hour or two. Try to ensure Christmas includes what you’d love to do also .. it really doesn’t have to be all about the kids / parents / in-laws.
3. During potential stress moments agree a strategy with your partner for how you can be in it together, finding the lightness or humour in the situation or supporting one another. This may be a secret shared joke eg ‘how many times will Uncle Bob make a sexist remark?’. Or go for a walk to get out of the house for a bit. Remind yourselves what is important … hint: it’s not a perfectly cooked sprout.
4. Get yourself in a fun mood. Loud music, tickle the kids, dance while peeling sprouts, grin at yourself in the mirror, wear a Minion onesie, phone a friend, have champagne or christmas pud for breakfast etc .. and not just on Christmas Day, whenever you want. Just realised I’ve done all of these at some point!
5. If all else fails: drink Gin, eat Twiglets & laugh about it.
Wishing you all a very fun Christmas. X Pls Like/Share